Martin Rooney once said to me that when he talks about nutrition he prefers lifestyle over diet. In diet you have the word DIE and in lifestyle you have the word LIFE. So if you have to choose between DIE or LIFE, which one would you choose?
After that I started thinking my nutrition more as a lifestyle instead of diet. I think everybody should aim towards long-term lifestyle changes over short-term diets if they want to make permanent changes in to their life.
My Paleo is more like neo-Paleo lifestyle. It means that beside the basic Paleo diet I use some dairy products: organic milk (only in coffee), cream, fermented milk products and different kind of aged cheeses.
Key points that helped me on my path to Paleo
- Don’t stress about eating, just eat, test and learn to cook and shop in a new way
- There isn’t just one way to execute Paleo lifestyle. Find the way that works for you.
- Meals doesn’t have to be traditional breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can think of them more like meal-1, meal-2, meal-3 etc. Example breakfast can be your last night dinner and lunch can be the “breakfast” eggs, sausage and bacon. Don’t stress, just eat good and healthy meals.
- If you make cakes or other sweet stuff just use sugar instead of a sweetener like stevia. You know it doesn’t taste the same and it will spoil the whole idea.
- If you slip and eat some candy or junk food, don’t worry, it won’t kill you. Just make sure that it doesn’t become a habit. Enjoy the moment and then go back to your normal lifestyle.
The biggest differences between the past and today
- I feel more energetic, better and refreshed
- All my stomach and gas problems are gone
- I don’t have any more my joint pains
- Overall I am in better physical condition
I don’t say that this is the right and only way to do it. It’s just the way that works for me. I would recommend everybody to test the Paleo lifestyle for one month and then decide if its your thing or not. Don’t believe what people said to you, believe in yourself and how you feel!
If you have a chance to go check out the Jaakko Savolahti’s Paleo lecture: Nutrition for athletes, I highly recommend that you do so. Jaakko has helped me and Johannes on our path to the Paleo side. I got most of the key points from his lecture and he has truly helped me on my journey towards better health and nutrition.
Another good way to start explore the Paleo is to listen to the Helsinki Paleo Podcast’s
(sorry, only in Finnish).
SSCT Paleo Recipes
Meatpot is easy to cook and it tastes even better the next day.
- 500-1000g Meat (Beef, Lamb etc)
- Vegetables (broccoli, onion, sweet potato, carrot)
- 150-200g bacon
- Vegetable broth
- Rosemary, black pepper
Chop the vegetables, fry the meat quickly in a pan, cut and fry the bacon after the meat in the pan.
Mix all the ingredients in a pot and add the vegetable broth until the ingredients are almost covered. Cook it in an oven at low temperature (150°c) about 2-4 hours.
- 5 dl almond flour
- 1/2 dl chia-seeds
- 5 organic eggs
- good salt example rose salt
- dried oregano
- splash of olive oil
Mix all the ingredients together and fry the base in an oven at 180°c about 20 minutes (middle level).
When the base is in the oven you have time to do the dressing:
- tomato sauce
- dried oregano
- half onion
- 4 garlic claws
- splash of olive oil
Cook it in a saucepan for 15 minutes.
Take the base out of the oven, spread dressing over the base. Add the toppings that you like to use (ham, bacon, pepperoni) and cheese and put it back in the oven at 200°c (upper level) 20minutes.
- 3 organic eggs
- 6 dl coconut milk
- 3 dl mix of almond flour and coconut flour
- sugar or honey
Mix all the ingredients together and fry the pancakes in a pan with butter.
Blender Jam: Take frozen or fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries etc.) put them in the blender and ROCK IT! Easy and healthy.
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 dl sugar
- 200g dark chocolate 70-80%
- 100g butter
- 2,5dl mix of almond flour, coconut flour and rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Melt the butter and chocolate. Cream the eggs and sugar. Mix all the ingredients together and pour the mixture into the cake tin.
Bake it in an oven in 200°c for 16 minutes, cake should be muddy from the middle (time depends from your oven so testing makes you the master).
- Chop the vegetables that you can find in the fridge and enjoy the movie.
I hope you got some ideas to help you on your path to healthier lifestyle. Test the recipes and realize that it’s not that hard to eat healthy.
If you haven’t read the Hatsolo AKA “The White Gorilla” goes Paleo, you can find it HERE.
Other good stuff to check out:
Remember, It’s Up To You!